Tuesday, November 3, 2009

A first batch of Guate pics

Ok, so I know it sounds a little funny but I find myself taking holidays from traveling at the mo..
My sister managed to convince me that since I was already in America, I might as well hop on a plane to see her.
Fair enough.
The magic of the flying tin thus brought me to this beautiful country I am surely and not so slowly learning to like very very much indeed.

Here are a few pics I like, not entirely representative of the trip, but well...
a) more will come
b) there ARE other things to do than just hang around on the internet..

Fun painting with my beautiful sis in her garden (note the abundance of green and flowers, thank heavens for small mercies!!)

A view from the roof unveils Volcano Pacaya Which a group of valiant capoeiristas, including one- to-become then proceded to climb, up up up, ganz close to the lava.. Feeling hot hot hot!! *Acaraje-Mestre Aranha-Alma Boa-Chama Grande-Louva Deus*

1 dream come true for little Emma!! :o) One of the most astounding things with the moving lava is the sound it makes. Oddly comparable with the sound of breaking ice.

Flo and I went on another of our crazy road trips to Todos Santos in the Cuchumatanes, where they were preparing for the annual cavalcade, which involves pretty much getting drunk on a horse and getting the aforementionned horse drunk as well so it will stand running through the day with a drunk on its back, if you see what I mean.
There is a very relative more subtle and deeper meaning to it all, something about honour and stuff, but it got lost in times.. :P

Some of the grocest sweets ever, but thumbs up for the colour!! :o)

1st of November is the Day of the Dead here as well. People go to the cemeteries and repaint the tombs in bright colours, sit around and eat and talk and make small ceremonies where they make offerings *I presume* to the deceased.

They also fly kites known as bariletes. This is NOTa barilete Not this either
Later, on the way to the beach.. Pasamos por Xela.. this is not a prison by the way, it is a 4 star hotel.. Fuimos a Sipacate en la costa Pacifica
He is real, but just for show, poor thing..

Then the bariletes...
Uiiii, preddy!!!

Oh yes.. and this trip to Guatemala rhymes with a few words including capoeira amongst the most important..
Thanks to Flo, I was able to realize a long time lost project (if you know whaddimean) and go to my first capoeira classes during the visit to Guatemala of Mestre Aranha.. And thanks to that, I was able to legally fight with my sis, teehee.. :P

Here is one of the videos of the last roda...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

scary......... all this time i thought you were a lover not a fighter. looks like a fun place. be carefull and have lots of fun. fwafs. rc

p.s. you kicked ass!

Hundar said...

Wowza, looks hard! I doubt I'd be able to do all those moves. Luckily I possess the power of distraction and the power of fleeing if I run into trouble :)

Good work on your part!

/P