Tuesday, June 15, 2010

And so I found my Island...

I often said this is the place I want to be if I come back to Europe, and so it's true, it seems.
I just spent a few days in the Westfjords with Einar, and to be honest I can hardly imagine anything nicer than living there.Isafjordur is so layed back it almost felt stressful to be back in Reykjavik (c'est dire!!)A bunch of decomplexed children taking an outdoor folk dance lesson on a nice summer's day..Found on a front door. "Here live..." I really like the idea! :o)

Very peaceful, loads of birdlife.A bunch of harlequin ducks (I think...)

Semi-wild mammals... :o)
Although it must be quite hard in the winter.. it's encased in a fjord (hence the name!) and so far north there are times in the winter when the town hardly sees the light, and is even sometimes cut off from the outside world I believe.. good opportunity for knitting and playing chess! :o) Dynjandi

We flew back on Saturday evening, as Einar was to catch his plane back toSvíþjóð and I was theoretically supposed to take part in the Blue Lagoon Challenge, which is a yearly bicycle race that goes 60 km from Hafnafjordur to the Blue Lagoon on gravel and road between (what feels like) mountains and lava fields.Gardar, from IFHK, again went to a lot of trouble to find me a bike and help me, so thanx to him and also to Katrin, whose bike I ended up using for the competition.

I ended up 250th out of 313, completing the course in 3 hours and 36 minutes. Not brilliant, but I'm happy: it was a first, I'm not used to mountain bikes and rather shy of gravel roads generally, and after all, I'd only slept one hour. Also, i'm not even sure I'd ever cycled so long with only about 10 to 15 minutes' break..
Hope I can do it again next year, to compare! :o)

Anyway, the ride was beautiful, light, magic. Obviously I didn't stop to take pics, 'cause well; it was a race after all! :D

This is what the profile of the race looks like
And this the road taken

I'm on pic 240 here:
And 134 to 136 here


Very glad to be here again, singing, swimming, knitting, cycling! :o)

Going to the pool now, but before that, want to wish my little bro Benjamin good luck, as he's starting his Baccalauréat exams tomorrow!!! (WHAAAAAAT???? 18 and nearly out of school already???!!)
:D

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

iceland is lucky to have you back even if your slow as molassas on a mountain bike haha, you were not last hope you are happy and nice things happen for you FWAFS rc

Emma said...

Slow as molassas? No way!!! I started at the back and decided to leave others a chance! ;o)

Val said...

100% right, they are harlequin duck.
I may understand that you are back in town ( you know the stressful one?) maybe we can meet sometime... after all grafavogur is not that far, and I will be home ( mostly) alone ( mostly) I can have a fresh and shadowy area for you, and a fresh drink for your bike .. even a cake he he wants to...or if this would be better for you...the you can switch ( pas tres sure d'etre claire la... en gros tu viens quand tu veux, hein...)

val

Anonymous said...

iam glad to learn that your not slow just a good sport letting the others start first even so you could be the first place Frenchie, and best looking one ive met. Be safe have fun. FWAFS much much love rc

Christine said...

Good for you for even participating in the race! Way to go, Emma!!

Question re the link to the race... it's the "click on the word" kind of thing... how do you attach those to your blog?