Thursday, December 24, 2009

Taranaki


Hey peoples!
I really can't be asked to write anything right now about what I've been doing recently, so here are at least a few pics of Taranaki, the area I'm hanging out in at the mo. Let's just sum up the last 2 weeks in a few words: weeding (+ scratching, thanks to tradescantia fluminensis) It may not look like much to you, but the mountain on the right side of the fence is the stuff I've been pulling out of the ground this past week or so.

... mowing lawns , baby-sitting various people's children, which is very nice since I hadn't been exposed to small children for a looooooooooong time, playing capoeira (yay!) thanx to Josh and Hannah and most recently eating a lot of chocolate (sjit, Xmas is almost gone and done with, what excuse will I be able to invoke next?)
Hannah eating a deep-fried equivalent of a mars bar AFTER a fish n' chips BEFORE our last roda. Note the twinkle in the eye. :o)
(Anecdote: did you know there is such a thing as deep-fried pizza?) Summer is here, so there are loads of flowers everywhere....
The beach at Komeni Road. (black sand, like in Iceland)
The countryside on the way to Okato
still on the way to Okato
A spider. The pic is not photoshopped. This week I found out there is such a thing as webless spiders.
Mount TaranakiA possum trap. The inscription made me laugh though (warrior kill trap? ) ..Stony River
Mount T. (again) The rolling hills on the way to Katikara eco-community where I spent a while in a (as said) kind of eco-community- slightly messed up to my taste, but in a nice setting..
On a lighter mind-blowingly funny/perplexifying note, this is a sign one can see in the local petrol-station.
Just in case you felt like taking your fish for a stroll and stopping by to have a pint of petrol on your way, please bear in mind that it is a foolish, foolish thing to do.

I really don't tire of photographing it. It dominates the whole plain.
Mangatete stream, next to Pip and Rich's, where I'm staying now . It's just perfect and cool to bathe in on a hot day, and believe me it's hot, mamma mia!!! ..
Tonight was our last (and awesome) roda for the year, in Pukekura park.. would be nice if we made it a habit :o)
Over the holidays (cause yeah, it's Summer here, so of all the weird things, apart from having the night-sky upside down and seeing Orion tilted on his head all the time, I also experienced my SECOND "longest day of the year" for 2009 yesterday) since we have no capoeira classes I might go and check out the area around Rotorua, but it's as of yet undecided.

The only sure thing is I'll be house-sitting over Christmas. House-sitting, que dis-je... I will be house, but also calf, sheep, and chicken-sitting for some people around here.. Nice :o)
So bye for now, the chicken is calling....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

nice pictures enjoying them very much be safe and have fun fwafs rc