Thursday, August 13, 2009

Knitting

For those who followed, after mum told me at Christmas that i was not to leave her house or the country before I had learned to knit, and tied me down to a chair with threads of yarn, and forced me to watch and learn and knit and watch and learn and knit, I returned to this peaceful country unscathed.. or so i thought!!

In retrospect, it seems like some part of me must have been receptive to this incredibly terrible maternal drill (hello mummy, I love you, wave wave! :o) )... because when Alice's mum and aunt came in June, we went to the Westfjords, and this uncontrollable urge to put our hands back on the wool took hold of us.. Not a day passed without us talking about stitches, needles sizes and balls -of yarn- colours and patterns, and lopi here, and lopi there, lopi bloody everywhere!! :o)

Alice is still hooked, on a boat somewhere to the West of Iceland, knitting through the night, and here I am in front of the computer, partly knitting, partly staring in absolute awe at some masterpieces of lopi and non-lopi knitting I've found on the web.
Lopi:
Pretty awesome, not?
And look at the colours on these!! I totally love the design, they are so beautiful!!http://www.helloyarn.com/fiddleheadmittens.htm

This lady also makes such cool stuff! Seems like her site hasn't been updated for a while, but there's enough on there to keep me fed for some time..

I'm incredibly impressed at what one can do with wool, and am totally looking forward to learning more about it.. in fact, I sort of wish i had more hands, and maybe bigger storage in my brain as well!
So far I've made a brown scarf for Alice, a blue one for Sylvain, and am currently playing on a red one for mum. As you have probably figured, this one is the blue one, and it's a so-called basket pattern, copied from the beautiful orange scarf I bought in Huaraz in Peru. (if only the lady who sold it me knew what she started!! :o) ) I have just bought another 10000000 ton of wool and am planning to take over the world hum *cough* , I mean knit my way across the ocean to Newfoundland.

Knitting scarves is nice, but I'm looking for something a little more exciting now.. upcoming projects are leg warmers and my first lopapeysu, after the first disastrous try Alice and I made in June :o)

Hiiiiiiii, I'm so excited!!!!!!

1 comment:

Marriig said...

hey waou tu tricotes toujours?
eeeetttt... as-tu essaye le crochet? It might just be that little bit easier/lighter to carry along... Tu voyages tellement (awe)
Btw gorgeous basket weave scarf! ;-)