Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Spring

If anyone is still wondering what the hell I’m still doing here, I’d just tell them it’s worth it to stay just to observe the passing of the seasons, the ever-changing light and the sharp contrasts in...well....just about everything really. Brightness, colour, temperature..
All right now, THAT might have been an overstatement.. It’s as pissy and cold as ever.. :D

By the by, this is the result of last week's election, if you don't know about it yet, the left won. Whatever they're going to be able to do with the country and the catastrophical state the economy is in right now is anybody's guess, but good luck to them anyway..
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/apr/26/iceland-election-government

There is a particular something in the air here at springtime, a special smell that comes from the trees around town; because yes, there ARE a few, at least 3 of them.
Still haven’t figured out what kind of tree it is, or else I forgot, hvaðeina.
Anyway, it started smelling springy about 4 days ago!
And the daffodils are almost out in the garden!
AND I don’t care if they've been out for 2 months everywhere else in the world!
I bet they’re over already, when ours are just starting, so there!

My friend Flo came to visit this week; we went round most of the highlights, but there are still tons left for his next visit, hehehe :o)



Here are a few pics to show you how green and beautiful this place is in the Spring. And it’s only the beginning, yay!!
Extreme green in town, Laugardalshöll. See what I mean about the colours? I love that picture.
Dýradalur, with a view on Þingvallavatn. Incidentally, that's where I almost lost fingers in January (how careless of me... :Þ )Þingvallavatn

Þingvellir
The bright blue water in Silfra
I'm planning to take my diving certificate on my next week off, if all goes according to my ever-changing plans (...)
Not sure if that's where we'll be doing the open water dives, but I sure hope so!!!
There is still the occasional snow on Esja, and even at the foot of some mountains in the countryside, but overall it's melting everywhere.
The lava fields are shedding their winterly garments of snow, and suddenly appear clad in bright colours. Water is flowing everywhere, here at Gullfoss
And Reykjadalur
Yup, it really is...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

the island is surely beautiful as you still are i hate to be jealous of jon call me if he cant handle "tons" haha hope you have a wonderful spring, dont hold your breath while scuba diving or anything stupid like drinking bleach or getting in a land war in china what kind of work do you do, strange schedule week on week off??? enjoy your tales alot and more poetry will also be OK thanks for English speak fwafs rc