Sunday, May 31, 2009

A day in May

Summer is coming!
This week there were incredible temperatures of up to 12 degrees celsius at least, no kidding! Naaaah.... well actually it was even a bit warmer than that, there was even a day where I was sweating wie ein Baer um die Eier, so it must have culminated to 15 at least.. :D
I was lucky enough to be off, and on Wednesday I (at last) took some time to go and walk around Glymur, the highest waterfall in Iceland. To get there, you have to drive along Hvalfjörður, which incidentally is also incredibly beautiful, especially at the moment and in the sunshine.
Glymur takes some finding (it did for me anyway...) I suspect the savvy people of this wonderful country of having enough wit to want to keep boring tourists off their best plates-bandes.. but it was well worth looking for, especially as I had been meaning to go there forever. Forever since I've been here. Yup.

The said waterfall drops about 200m and really is pretty impressive.

In fact, I think it has become one of my favourite places here, but maybe I'm a little biased by the fact that the day was so gorgeous, that there were so many flowers, bumbles bees, summer fragrances and birds nesting in the cliffs around the waterfall, AND that I had all this beauty to myself.
It Was warm, but let me tell you the water was pretty fresh..
As perceived by the snow on the surrounding mountains.
The choir I joined recently is going to Mývatn in the north of Iceland next week-end.. we were just checking the weather today with a friend, and, well, it's supposed to snow around there and then. It'll certainly make camping more interesting :D
Here's a link to the choir gathering
And more specifically to the programme. If anyone is interested in coming... :o)

Hvalfjörður, as seen from Glymur
Glymur, the actual waterfall

And the water I waded through at the top of it to switch sides.. Maaaan was it invigorating. To not say slightly fresh..
Yup, that's probably where the water comes from, so you can imagine.
Lucky it didn't come out in blocks, hihi.



Last year at this time (beginning of May in fact) there was a big earthquake in Iceland; 6,1 on Richter scale..


The last few days there have been a few more, in fact last night and today, the strongest 4,9 on Richter's scale http://en.vedur.is/#tab=skjalftar

I didn't feel either of them. Last night I might have been sleeping (a rare occurrence) and today I was diving in Kleifravatn, which is actually not that far from where the epicentre was. Kind of glad the lake didn't turn into a massive syphon and swallow us up.. :/ (who said dramatic?) but statistically there is a fair chance there will be a biggie soon if the Earth keeps on moving like that.. Wait and see..

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

no lake in its right mind would swallow you up what are you going to do this summer? be safe and happy fwafs rc