Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Sunshine ueber Alles!!

This week has been the most splendid week of the year so far.. sun sun sun every day. It's still pretty cold and especially windy (yo, so the bike's not moving, I'm no masochist!!) but there is a definite feeling of Spring in the air.. this week end I noticed the first crocus has come out in our garden!! :o) And I'm really looking forward to seeing some daffodils!!Since it was also luckily my week off, I spent most of it (when I was not lying around in hotpots in the pool) generally enjoying the sunshine and walking around the environs of Reykjavik pretty much every day..
Not much to say that can't be summed up in a few photos and words, including but not excluding : fresh, beautiful, happy, sore and muscles! :o)
A beautiful view of Reykjavik and Esjan, as seen from Perlan. Did I mention I also have a view on Esjan from my room? :o)
The Pearl and the tipi.
Reykjavik "woods", Öskjuhlið. SOME of the trees are actually bigger than I.


Friday I went walking next to Keilir (the cone)
I wanted to go up it, but somehow must have turned off at the wrong place and found myself faced with having to cross a snowed up lava field to get there, so I decided on avoiding breaking all my legs alone in the snow miles from nowhere and no one and phoneless, and went up the opposite "mountain"The day was incredibly clear and the view absolutely stunning. It's been like that all week (did I mention before maybe?)
That incredible Icelandic light is back. Energy is bursting from everywhere, vá!
Just look at these little mosses peeping out!! :o)and paws..

On the way back I stopped in Garður, which is actually not at all on the way back but in the absolute opposite direction. However, I went there, and this is the old lighthouse, which it seems did not stop countless ships from wrecking there.. amongst which a few Breton boats by the way..
This photo is not the clearest, but I really love the brightness of it, it really shows how absolutely "bjart" it can be here. And I love the snowy mountains in the background.. it looks quite polar! :o)
And a graffito I especially like in Reykjavik.. Icelanders are such skalds..
In two weeks (well actually 10 days now) I'll have been here a full year already.. how time flies.. I remember in June I was talking about Gummizeit, the elasticity of time.. I mean, I've always thought iof time as elastic, but here it is even more, it seems..
Maybe it has to do with the way my life feels divided into two neat and VERY different (*looking for word*) well, let's say periods, what with the nightjob and all, working every other week.
It's almost as if real life was between parentheses for a week out of two.. probably why it feels like time goes twice as fast.
At least I hope it's that, 'cause if I start feeling like time is running out at my age, I'll most definitely have to reincarnate to finish everything I want to do.
I'll just have to hope I don't come back as a slug.. ;o)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you wait till you hit forty the roller coaster stops ticking upward and starts hauling ass down taking years like days! anyway youll be a pretty slug fwafs