Sunday, September 9, 2012

Summer's almost gone...



 
 Beginning of September, tourists are getting fewer and fewer...


Even the birds have left their headquarters...

... to start migrating... (mostly flying, but some of them walking, apparently!)


It's nice to have a bit of quiet after the chaos of the Summer months:-)
Autumn is nestling in gently, with the colours changing and the clear air turning crispy in the mornings.


The mountain-ash trees are crumbling under the weight of berries : this year the Summer has been so exceptionnally good that there was an unexpected quantity of berries just waiting to be picked ! Yummy !
In fact Þórður, the 91 year-old curator of the museum has been saying repeatedly that he has never known a better Summe...

Last night, we had the first frosty night of the year in Skógar, and it was ever so quiet, this morning when I woke up. 

I couldn't resist going out to take the pulse of the day... 
Apparently there is a massive storm forecast for tomorrow, starting tonight...

It's so peaceful right now, you'd never believe it...
 


It's the time of year when farmers start gathering there sheep from the mountains. 
You can see them flocking together, like little balls of cotton rolling down the bright green slopes.

 Autumn is a time of changes for everyone, and I for my part, have decided to go back to school again.
My challenge for this year is to get a certification as a guide, so that I can legally be allowed to walk around Iceland guiding groups of frenchies and yaring important cultural stuff about the country at them all the way :-)

The slight "challengy thing" lies in the fact that most of the courses (and therefore exams) are in Icelandic. 
E.g, what I don't know in Icelandic right now, I'd better know pronto!
Since March 2008, I've spent roughly 2 and ¾ years in Iceland now, and over this time, I've become fairly acquainted with the language.
People often ask whether icelandic is a difficult language to learn... 
The answer is no, it's not. 
But hell, speaking it well really is!!! :-)
 (Though saying that, I have to think about my cousin Dan who succeeded in learning Japanese from scratch in a few years...respect!)

However,  I have to say, there is a step between casually talking about the weather in shitty grammar and disclosing really amazing facts about medieval litterature :-)

Jæja....
It's all very exciting....

Have a nice Autumn!! :-)



No comments: